Privacy Notice 2018
Last Updated: 18/05/2018
The English Studio Language Schools (“We”) are committed to ensuring that your privacy is protected.
This policy along with our Website Usage and Cookies Policy, sets out the basis on how we use and protect any personal data we collect from you or provide to us, will be processed by us and you can be assured that it will only be used in accordance with this privacy statement.
Please read the following policy carefully and make sure you fully understand out terms and practices regarding the handling and treatment of your data. By using “Our Site” (www.englishstudio.com) and/or our services you are accepting this policy, you consent to the terms outlined in this policy.
The Controller of data is The English Studio Language Schools, registered in England, Company Registration number 7176665 at The English Studio, Holborn House, 113 High Holborn, London, WC1V 6JQ.
Information we may collect from you!
The personal data we collect is supplied to us by the individual it concerns, a legal parent or guardian or an active/third-party agent for whom you have given prior consent. You may give us information about you via forms on our site (www.englishstudio.com) or by liaising with us by email, phone or in person. This comprises of information you give us when registering for our newsletters, contacting us through our Live Chat function, completing a contact form, booking a course and other related services, participating in survey, competition or promotion.
We collect the following data categories: full name, date of birth, nationality, contact details, course information, medical conditions, information to bio-metrically identify an individual (such as passport and visa documentation for immigration and taxation purposes), National Insurance Number (to show an individual’s eligibility to work) and financial processing information (bank details and transaction history). Further details may be asked for depending on extra service at the time of booking.
Our processes, purposes and legal bases for processing your personal data are:
[where: C=Consent, X=Contract, S=Statutory obligation, V=Vital, P=Public, L=Legitimate interests]
- To permit you to book and manage courses and other related services offered by The English Studio (C)
- To improve our product and services (L) (P)
- For us to send you promotional emails about new products, special offers or other information we think you may find interesting (L) (C)
- For us to send you relevant marketing material (C)
- For us to arrange and manage contracts resulting in financial agreement (X)
- For us to retain copies of communication between us (L)
- For us to comply with statutory obligations (e.g. GDPR, accounting, taxation, immigration etc) (S)
Our legitimate interests (L) are contract and preserve system security and integrity.
In regard to our site (www.englishstudio.com), we may collect the following information with each visit:
- Technical / electronic data, such as the Internet Protocol (IP) address used to connect you to the internet, your bowser type, time zone and country settings, operating system, platform and devices used.
- Data retrieved regarding your visit to Our Site, comprises of Uniform Resource Locators (URL), interaction with Our Site (Sessions and Times, clicks and scrolling), new and returning visitor, pageviews, bounce rate, approaches used to navigate away from our site and any email or contact number used to contact us.
- Information we receive from external sources. We may be given information about you if you use an external online platform to book a course. We work closely with third parties and may in return receive information about you. This includes website developers, Customer Relationship Management (CRM) platforms, payment services, advertising and analytics providers, agent services.
If we have collected your data from others and notify you by email of this, we invite you to consent within one calendar month for us to continue to retain your data, by positively registering your interest via email. If you do not consent, within one month, we will destroy your data. We may in turn combine this information with any information you have provided us directly.
Cookies are small files which are stored on a user’s computer. They are designed to hold a modest amount of data specific to a particular client and website and can be accessed either by the web server or the client’s computer.
We use traffic logs to identify which page is being used and to help us improve Our Site and Services.
How we use your information
We will use this information:
- To maintain and control Our Site and core business operations such as, surveys, analysis of data and research of data.
- To understand your needs and provide you with a better, safe and secure, service.
- To improve Our Site and make sure information is accurate, up-to-date and relevant.
- Research purposes – to understand the impact of our marketing efforts and to deliver relevant campaigns.
Links to other websites
Our website may contain links to other websites of interest. However, once you have used these links to leave our site, it is vital to understand that we do not have any control over external websites. Therefore, we cannot be responsible for the protection and privacy of any other information which you provide whilst visiting such sites and such sites are governed by this Privacy statement. You should exercise caution and look at the privacy statements applicable to the website in question.
Control and security of your data
We are committed to ensuring that your information is secure. If you have previously agreed to us using your information for direct marketing purposes, you may opt-out at any time by either using the unsubscribe link at the bottom of any email from us, or contact in writing at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We will not sell or lease your information to third parties unless and we have your permission or are required by law to do so. However, we may share your information with selected trusted third-parties such as our external marketing and advertising agencies, who use the data to send appropriate adverts we think ay be of interest to you and others.
We may disclose your personal information if The English Studio Language School or a significant amount of its assets are acquired by a third party or in the event we were to sell any business or assets to a prospective third party buyer.
Further recipients of your data will be people offering services and information related to the above third-party statement. We use a proprietary database and will not transmit your data to any other third party unless required by law.
Storage of your data
The data that we collect from you will be stored in the EAA and will not be transferred to, and stored at, a destination outside of this region.
We store your personal data for a maximum of 6 years after the expiry of any financial year in which any contract we have arranged for you is discharged. We may choose to destroy your details at any time. Prior to destroying your data, we may choose to invite you to re-consent.
The GDPR provides you with rights to access, rectify and erase your personal data; and to restrict or object to processing, and to supply or transfer your data in portable format.
Any consents you may give may be withdrawn at any time, without effecting pre-withdrawal processing. You have the right to lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority. In the UK this is the ICO, https://ico.org.uk/concerns / 0303 123 1113 or in Ireland the Data Protection Commission.
The English Studio may change the terms in the policy at any time, you will be made aware via email. Please check this page regularly to ensure that you are happy with our terms.