• Where are you based?

    Our London teaching centres are based in Holborn, right in the heart of London with world famous attractions like The British Museum, Covent Garden and Camden Town right on our doorstep. The London teaching centres are within walking distance of world leading academic institutions – St Martins; UCL; the LSE and Birkbeck. Our Dublin centre is based in the heart of Dublin. Situated on Jervis street, our school is conveniently located to the shopping district. Take a look at the following video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rSou06KZNg

  • How do I book on a course?

    You can book your course online at www.englishstudio.com/booking or by calling us on +44 (0)20 7404 9759 in London and+353 (01) 5143789 Dublin. You are also very welcome to book through one of our partners in your country. For a list of partners please go to Our Partners page.

  • When do I have to pay for the course?

    You must pay the full fees before you start the course. When you book online, we will ask you for full payment. If you book in person at the schools, you can leave a deposit and pay the balance before you start your course. If you are applying for a visa, then we will ask you to pay the full fees before we send you the paperwork needed to make your application.

  • When can I start my course? Can I start my course on a day other than Monday?

    You can start your course on any Monday. Monday is the best day to start as the Teachers interview all new students to find out more about their level and what they want to achieve in the class. If you cannot start on Monday, we will do our best to arrange another starting day.

  • How far in advance do I have to book my course?

    You can book your course 1 year in advance or one day before or even on the day you start. We are a large school with lots of classes and levels so we will always have space for you.

  • How much does it cost?

    You can see our pricelist online. The price depends on what time you study (afternoon is cheaper than the morning) how many weeks you study (the price per hour decreases the more weeks you choose) and the type of course.

  • How can I pay for the course?

    If you book online you can pay using our secure online payment facility or you can pay by bank transfer. We can also take credit card payments over the phone. If you book at reception, you can pay by credit card, cash or just show us evidence of a bank transfer. Any student that requires a visa to enter the UK or Ireland must have paid in full, in advance to travelling to your host country.

  • Are there any other costs?

    Apart from the cost of the course, we charge a registration fee. If you book accommodation, you also pay an accommodation booking fee. When you join your course you will have to buy your own copy of the course book – which you can purchase from any one of our reception desks – don’t worry we’ll tell you which one you will need. You will also be required to register and pay for an external exam.

  • What happens if I cancel my course? Will I get a refund?

    Sorry to say, but we can only give refunds in the case of visa refusal.

  • Can I postpone my course?

    This depends. We will always try to be as flexible as possible as we know your plans and circumstances can change. So if we can postpone your course we will but it will depend on availability of your course in the future.

  • Can I freeze my course?

    This depends. We always try to be flexible as possible as we know your plans and circumstances can change. So if we can freeze your course we will but it will depend on availability of your course in the future.

  • Do you arrange extracurricular activities?

    Yes we have a programme of social and cultural activities. We display the monthly programme on the website and around the school.

  • Do you have Wi Fi in the schools?

    Yes.  We have high speed Internet in all our schools. You can link to it wirelessly using your laptop or mobile device.

  • What nationality and ages are the students at the school?

    We have students from around 80 different countries in our schools.

    For our year round courses our minimum age is 16 in London and 18 in Dublin. Most of our students are aged between 18-35. We have many students older than this who fit in very well in the classes.

    Our London young learners’ course in the summer accepts students aged 8-17.

  • In London, can I get a Student Rate Travelcard?

    You certainly can. To qualify for the Student Oyster card, which gives you 30% discount on London Transport, you need to be enrolled on a full time course for a minimum of 14 weeks.

  • Can you help me to get a job?

    We would be delighted to help with this – in London and Dublin we have key partner job agencies who come to the school on a regular basis. They can sign you up for work and give you advice and information on working in the UK and Ireland.

  • What qualifications do the teachers have?

    All our teachers are graduates who have a minimum qualification of the CELTA or Trinity TESOL. Our teachers also have a good deal of experience working overseas – so ask them where they have worked – they may have taught in your country.

  • What teaching methods does your school use?

    We advocate a communicative approach to teaching in our classrooms.  In this way our teachers can incorporate a variety of methodology and techniques to achieve rapid results, e.g. guided discovery, process writing. Teachers make extensive use of both inductive and deductive approaches to the teaching of particular language points in lesson and allow plenty of opportunities for students to work with the language. This focus on communicative competence allows students to take the language they learn at The English Studio and successfully employ it in real-life communication in the English speaking community outside of the classroom.

  • Will I get a certificate at the end of my course?

    You certainly will- it will show how long you have studied, the level of your last class and your attendance – useful for your future employers

  • If I register for an exam preparation course, is the fee of the external exam included in the course price?

    You can enrol on the external exam with us and we will organise it all for you. The exam fee is extra. You can find out the price at one of our reception desks.

  • How many levels do you have?

    We have 7 different levels of English and further levels for Business English and different exam courses. Pick up our handy levels bookmark at reception for a full description.

  • Can I change the level of the class if I find it too easy or too difficult?

    Yes. If your teacher agrees that you are in the wrong level then we will change you straight away.

  • How many students are in the classes?

    In Dublin our maximum class size is 15. The actual average size of the class is 12.

    In London our maximum class size is 15. The actual average size of the class is 12.

  • Can I take holidays? If I take my holiday allowance will this change the end date of my course?

    Yes you can – there are different allowances in Ireland and the UK (not our choice !!) so below is a quick guide to them

    In Ireland: students are entitled to a total of 8 weeks holiday.

    Option 1

    Study for 12 weeks, holiday for 4 weeks, study for 13 weeks, holiday for 4 weeks

    Option 2

    Study for 25 weeks, holiday for 8 weeks

    In Ireland– It is compulsory to take a one week holiday for Easter, and a 2 week holiday for Christmas.

    In the UK – A two week period at Christmas is our only compulsory holiday. If your course goes over that period, we will add on two weeks to make up the loss.

    The school also closes on Bank Holidays. We will not add on any more time to your course if your course coincides with a bank holiday.

    You will also be provided with an extra optional holiday allocation. The amount of this depends on the length of your course.

    Less than 8 weeks – No holidays

    8 – 12 weeks course > 1 week holidays

    13 – 17 weeks course > 2 weeks holidays

    18 – 23 weeks course > 3 weeks holidays

    24 – 29 weeks course > 4 weeks holidays

    30 – 35 weeks course > 5 weeks holidays

    36 – 39 weeks course > 6 weeks holidays

    40 weeks or more course > 8 weeks holidays

    It is your decision if you use this holiday allowance. If you do, we will not extend the length of your course but it will not affect your overall attendance on the course. If you take more holiday than your allocation allows then this will affect your attendance rate.

  • Can you arrange accommodation for me, and how much does it cost?

    Yes we can arrange homestays, houseshares and various kinds of self-catering residences. For full details and prices, please look at our student accommodation pages or ask at reception.

  • What happens if I don’t like my accommodation?

    We want you to be happy where you are living – so the moment there is something you don’t like – come and see the student services team and we’ll get things sorted

  • Do you organise airport transfer, and how much does it cost?

    Yes. We can organise a transfer from any London or Dublin airport to our schools, your accommodation or train station. Please see our price list for the current rates.

  • What type of visa do I need to study at your London school?

    If you are a citizen of the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland, you will not need a visa to study in the UK for up to 6 months. If you live outside the EEA or Switzerland, you will probably need a visa to study in the UK.

    If you require a visa, you will need to apply for either a 6-month or an 11-month Short-term Study Visa, depending on how long you will be studying for.

    Citizens of some countries, including Brazil, Mexico, and Japan do not need a visa if they want to study in the UK for up to 6 months. Students from these countries will still need a visa letter from the school and must get their passport stamped by immigration when they enter and leave the UK.

    Students from non-visa national countries who are studying for 6 months or less do not need to apply in advance. They must bring copies of all school documents to show immigration officers at the UK border.

    Passport holders of Oman, Qatar and United Arab Emirates qualify for an Electronic Visa Waiver (EVW), which will allow them to study for a period of up to 6 months.

  • How do I apply for a visa?

    If you are outside the UK now you can normally apply online. This is the website https://www.gov.uk/check-uk-visa

  • In the case that my visa is refused, will I receive a refund?

    You may be entitled to a refund but you should carefully read the terms and conditions at https://englishstudio.com/uk-booking-terms-conditions/. If you are entitled to a refund then please be aware that we are unable to refund the registration fee or visa documentation fee and an administration fee will also be deducted from the refund amount.

  • What type of Visa do I need to study in your Dublin school?

    If you are an EU national you don’t need a visa. If you are not an EU national then you will need to apply for a study visa for 8 months.

    For Non-EEU students you need a Study Visa, which you apply for in Dublin. If your country is on this list: http://inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/Countries%20whose%20nationals%20are%20visa%20required, you need to apply for a Visa to enter the country.

  • What does the English Studio do?

    The English Studio offers a range of English courses for learners who want to achieve excellent results in a short time. Our courses combine individual attention and professional tuition in a supportive environment. We are also proud to offer  courses for ambitious young learners during the summer.